Threlkeld Quarry. Signed from the B5322 St John’s in the Vale Road. We are using the lower Threlkeld quarry car park and the area around Kong. This is because the upper car park is being used by families doing the Santa Special on the steam train.
Please keep off the old quarry machinery
There is a charge of £1 per car. Please put your money in the pot at registration
THERE IS NO ENTRY ON THE DAY - PRE-ENTRIES ONLY
Entries will be using SI entries, close on the Thursday (10th Dec) at 23:59
Senior £7, Junior £3
There will be NO dibbers available on the day, please contact Dave Fenwick on: davfen44 ( use @ here) yahoo.co.uk if you'd like to request a dibber posted to you (free of charge for the duration of Covid)
Course Controls Length Climb
Brown 16 8.3 km 300 m
Blue 13 5.9 km 210 m
Green 11 4.4 km 160 m
Short Green 10 3.4 km 125 m
Light Green 10 2.8 km 140 m
Orange 9 2.2 km 120 m
Brown and Blue use a 1:10,000 map, the other courses have a 1:7,500 map
Unfortunately it was impossible to plan a suitable Yellow course.
The start and finish are about 500m from registration. These are not on the usual route out of the quarry but will be tapped along a lower route out of the quarry toward Newsham. There are 2 starts about 50m apart. The higher one for Brown and Blue and the lower one for the remaining courses
Whistles and Waterproofs may be compulsory.
The event is taking place on Threlkeld Common, a new area for orienteering. Below are the mapper/planner notes
1) The area is boggy. Be prepared for wet and possibly cold feet
2) Potentially most of the area could be mapped as marsh. However, marsh is generally only mapped where it affects the runability
3) There are a lot of boulders. If they are bigger than around 0.6-0.8m they are mapped
4) The areas of fast open are short grass and are useful for navigating
5) Lidar and aerial imagery has been used to map the area so any mapped features are in the correct places.
6) Most of the features are vague, relocation is very difficult